Event 4 of 4 of the 2014 / 5 series of workshops will concentrate on offshore wind turbine foundations.
Solutions can be broadly categorised into monopiles, non-monopile steel jackets and concrete gravity based foundations although novel solutions such as floating foundations are coming to the market. The design, production and installation of offshore wind turbine foundations accounts for approximately 17% of the LCOE of projects and is a major area for potential cost reduction. Foundation manufacture is a labour intensive process and therefore a key focus for Scotland's existing manufacturers and an area where foreign investment can be sought. The workshop will present an overview of the different foundation types and the current state of the market. Industry presentations will include case studies from existing projects and the supply chain requirements of future projects. The general state of the offshore wind market in Scotland will be presented within the context of recent announcements.
The programme features the following:
- Introduction of foundation concepts and general overview of foundations market , BVG Associates (Chris Willow, Senior Associate)
- Foundation challenges : Case study discussion Beatrice Demonstrator & Kincardine Offshore Wind Farm
- Operational issues concerning foundations and the ORE Catapult effort to support LCoE reduction
- UK offshore wind market overview and outlook for 2015: focus areas for Scottish SMEs, BVG Associates
- An overview of the SIFT (Scottish Innovative Foundation Technologies) fund
- As well as plenty of networking opportunities and opportunities for 1-2-1 appointments with offshore expert support consultants.